There has been an unintentional theme of beets this past week but why not, it's Spring and they are a wonderful vegetable. I recently spied a beet lemon-aide recently that I may need to check out. People often forget that the greens of the beet can also be eaten. They have a Kale type flavor and should definitely not be wasted when you buy whole beets. They pack in a lot of nutrients as well and are surprisingly tender. There are a ton of greens that you can that most people toss away.
Today we made these wonderful tarts with beets. This is so easy but seriously one of the best tasting meals that you have to try. This recipe serves two but can easily be adapted for more servings or used as an appetizer.
You Will need:
1 Beet cooked whole and sliced
Greens from 1-2 Beets
1 Sheet of puff pasty cut into 6ths.
2 small Mushrooms
1/2 of 1 small onion
Salt and Pepper
Pesto of any variety
1. Saute the onions and mushrooms until browned. Add the Beet greens and cook until wilted.
2. Preheat oven to 400. Place the 6 pieces of puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. On two of the pastries, spread on a thin layer of Pesto. (Here's a great Kale Pesto!)
4. Spread the onion/mushroom mixture on top, reserving as much of the beet greens to the side as possible.
5. Sprinkle feta cheese and then place beet greens on top. Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.
6. On the two two pastries, sprinkle with feta Cheese.
7. Overlap the beet slices in a layer on each pastry.
8. Sprinkle more feta on top and then top with drizzles of honey.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Bake the pastries on the oven for 15-20 minutes until Golden Brown. Serve warm.